(1600-1800km) Hello from the other side

Otaki forks. Up before sun. Above the clouds. Airplane mode. Mt. Crafford 1462. Can see it all: Mt.Taranaki, Wellington, ferrys, south island with snowy mountains in the distance. My eyes explode! I am so grateful! Down into mossy trees, lovely beach forest, Waikato river - clear as. Brown trouts. I take a bath and wash my clothes. Onwards through the forest. Still every few meters I have to use my hands. Finally less steep and rough. Parawai Hut? Nah, I prefer my tarp.

Morning dew, tui singing, foxglove flowers. Up and down through forest, then four-wheeled track, road, street. Guy stops his car and hands me six muesli-bars! Decline five ride offers. Kiwis are awesome! Find a hat with broad rim. Ditch the old one. Push on to Paraparaumu to catch up Rob&Tris. Beach walk, holiday park, shower, delivered pizza! Just another perfect day!

Porirua: Once more along the beach. Coast guards practicing. Escarpment trail, very scenic. We get free chocolate bars! Confess to the boys that it's my birthday. They start singing and I get an ice-cream! More roadwalk. Fish&Chips. Holiday park. Couple of beers.

Over the hills. Nice view onto Wellington. Not too windy yet. Kaka parrot in the pines. We play pinecone baseball. Into the city, silly Christmas decoration. There won't be snow and it's just November! March into a hostel. Dinner, second dinner, extra junk food.

Trailend north island. Outdoor shop on the way. Get my third pair of Icebreaker socks! All glory to the lifetime warranty! Up a hill into a park. Pine trees. Lord of the rings movie location. Past a zoo. More hills and finally down at the beach. Small stone monument. So unspectacular, such wow! That's it. High five. Walked across an island.

Rest days - best days. American girl drives me to Pak'n'save supermarket. I send food parcels ahead. Umbrella fixed, clothes sewn. Mongolian buffet - all you can eat!

Picton. Interilander at 9am. I've got a ticket to the other side! Calm sea. Dolphins jumping, smooth hills with young forests, Picton. Camp at Tombstone backpackers.

Queen Charlotte track. I love the Marlborough sounds! Captain Cook came here three times - so do I. Boat shuttle to Shipcove. Hit the trail with Allan, a Kiwi and meet Adrian a Polish. Wekas trying to steal our lunch. Fish four spotties for dinner. Perfect weather, perfect trail, perfect day!

Get up with the birds. Blue sky, awesome views into peaceful bays. Up and down the hills. Nothing but the most beautiful place on earth, you could imagine. Big distance in between the campsite. Make the poor Polish walk 39km on his second day. More Wekas, Stingray in the shallows. Yet another day in Paradise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonus Level: Stewart Island

(1800 - 2000km) I'm on a plane

(2000-2200) Misty Mountains