(200-400km) Over the hills and far away

Towards Kerikeri, across meadows and farmland. Sheep's and Turkey and bulls. Shoes off I feel like Frodo in Lord of the rings, when I walk barefoot through a landscape that looks like the shire.

Paihia. Finally back at the sea. Sun is strong. My umbrella helps to prevent me getting  sunburned. I dig some Tua Tua shellfish from the beach for dinner. Peanut butter into zip locks. Ready to leave town.

The next 13 km are leading along the bay. The car-ferry is transferring us to the other side onto a peninsula for just one dollar. Some locals offer to stay in their caravan.

Russel forest. River's are the highway in the jungle. However 3km walking upstream take time.

Moreport track. Lot's of work going on to bring the trail in good condition. Occasionally there's even gravel put into the mud pits. Paradoxically everything humans do to the ground to build better roads makes it worse to somebody, who is walking barefoot. The mud feels alright. Feet keep getting wet anyway.

Tane Moana Forest. I wake up to a bird singing the intro of Game of Thrones -  almost at least. Giant Kauri tree makes me feel small. Can't get to the other side of the river at Ngunguru. So I stay here and meet Vinc the Dutch Hiker while fishing. Friendly locals let us camp in their garden. The town is well aware of us hikers and a lot of trailmagic is happening.

Instead of crossing the river, we take the road around. Wanted to move on, but then go fishing with Vinc. Four hours later we end up with two kawai, a pheasant, five different herbs, lettuce, an orange, an apple and a citron - all found on the way. The dutch guy is a chef. Lovely dinner with five different courses. Insane! Everything just falls into place! The fellows hitchhiking the road sections miss out a lot!

Pataua estuary: River melts into sea and I have to walk through it. Low tide at sunrise makes me start early. More hills, a beach and then crossing to Marsden point by boat. Late and sunburned I arrive in Ruakaka. Holes in the socks, holes in the shoes. All good, no hole in the pocket!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonus Level: Stewart Island

(1800 - 2000km) I'm on a plane

(2000-2200) Misty Mountains